Thursday, March 8, 2007

Tao Li Yuan

The name of our dorm is Tao Li Yuan, its also the main administrative building for processing all the paperwork for foreigners (i.e. me). The rooms are pretty similar in size and quality to the room I had as a freshman at IU. The building is probably about 15 years old, but you have to factor in the China variable which works out to be around 25 years old.

(My bed, work space, and my roommate's Bed)

I'm living in a double room. My roommate hadn't arrived yet so I had first pick of bed and table (n00bz pwned - 1). The night I arrived I spent some time unpacking and discovered that someone at the airport stole my toiletry bag. Of which contained my beloved electronic toothbrush, deodorant (will haunt me later), facial wash, chapstick, and Colts key chain (given to me by my bro about 12 yrs ago for Christmas). Kevin pwned - 1. So when traveling through Asia or some sketchy region put locks on your luggage.

Our room doesn't have its own bathroom so I'm stuck using the same facilities as the rest of the plebes. Which is reasonable since I'm paying about $35RMB/day for the room. I'd give the bathroom a 3 out of 10. Our bathroom doesn't mess around with superfluous amenities such as air freshner, soap, toilet paper, paper towels, heat, sanitation, etc.... Its the kind of place that turns boys into men.

(typical Chinese squat toilet, we also have one western style toilet. BTW the wastebasket in the corner isn't for tissues. FYI - Koreans like to smoke and poop at the same time.)

I didn't have shower shoes so I was forced to make direct contact with the floor of the showers. I only had to suffer through this for a week, not to worry though I had my Hepatitis vaccination. However, I'd count myself lucky to only come out with a little ring worm. After a few showers I wisely spared no expense and bought some shower shoes for $60RMB. Problem solved.













(show
ers are in private stalls, H2O pressure - avg, hot water - good, floor - not so good)

1 comment:

Carl & Mina said...

Ewe! No shower shoes...

It's true. Korean men do like to smoke and poo at the same time.