Sunday, March 11, 2007

Registration & Assimilation part II

Students staying in China longer than 180 days are required to have an X-Visa (student). However to obtain an X-Visa you need to have a doctor run some tests on you and fill out the "physical exam for foreigners". It turns out that most students here have J-Visas (tourist) and apply for their X-Visa during the registration process. The school also conveniently provides a mobile medical trailer to examine students for their physical exam. I had my exam done in the states so that I could get my X-Visa at the consulate in Chicago. It turned out that I had to pay and go through the entire physical exam again.

The exam consisted of a small blood sample for an HIV and syphilis test. I also had clamps and electrodes attached to my extremities (including nipples), which was part of an EKG. I also tested negative for babies in my Ultrasound results. My chest X-ray also didn't indicate any abnormalities (other than a larger than average circumference).

Later in the week I bumped into another Chinese-American (ABC) in the elevator. One glance, a nod, and a "wassup" was the extent of our conversation and enough for ABC confirmation. I later met up with SS and his roommate GO, who is Chinese-Filipino. Both of them are studying for only one semester. SS is from LA and graduated from UCLA where he will be working for PWC (IT consulting) when he gets back. SS is already fluent in Mandarin, but is here to learn to read and write. GO grew up in the Manila and I'm not really sure what he does. I think he plans to work for the family business when he's done in Shanghai. Like me, GO is a beginner at Mandarin, but he can read the traditional Chinese characters. I've mostly been hanging out with these two clowns the past couple of weeks.

SS has been a godsend in the area of helping us order food. He can't read the menu, but its a great deal better than pointing and saying "Zhe ge - this one". He later helped all of us obtain our transit cards at the subway station. Its exactly like the Chicago Card plus. It can be used at all the subway stations, buses, and even taxis. These cards can be recharged at any of the subway station either electronically or at an attended booth.

No comments: